So, it’s happened. After reading 80 books this year, I’ve had my first Did Not Finish book. Im amazed it’s taken me 80 books, I would have thought it would have been around the 10 mark. I’m so disappointed, I’ve pretty much loved every book I’ve read this year and I had high hopes for this one but it just wasn’t meant to be. I gave it to 25% like I normally do and nope, it still wasn’t happening.
The book in question is The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence. Reasons behind not finishing it:
- I didn’t like the writing style, it irritates me the further along in to the book I got.
- I did not like Alex Woods one little bit. I couldn’t connect to him, I didn’t like the way he was telling his story, I just didn’t like him.
- It took forever to get anywhere. Nothing happened, it was just Alex going on and on about everything and anything and nothing at the same time.
Silly reasons I know, but I felt like banging my head against a brick wall. The 25% I did read took me 2 days. It takes me 2 days to read just one book. Not 25% of just one!
Since giving up this book, I’ve felt myself fall into a slump. This slump probably should have happened about 50 books back but it’s just hit me now.
On a brighter note, I’ve been invited to take part of a blog tour in August, I’m quite excited to get involved with it. Hopefully it goes well and I’ll do some more.
So, January. The first month of the year has come and gone, if not a bit too quickly. Some awful things have happened in the last 31 days but also some amazing things for so many people out there. Just a shame that their stories are overlooked by dreadful things! I hope your month was an amazing month!!
Anyway, my month in books!!
- The Undays of Aralias Lyons by K.L Horvath. ARC. E-book. 1st January – 3rd January. 2.5/5
- The Wolves of London by Mark Morris. E-book. 4th January – 7th January. 5/5
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. E-book. 4/5
- Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín. DNF.
- Pop Goes the Weasel by M. J Arlidge. Paperback. 3/5
- Letters to the Lost by Iona Grey. E-book. 5/5
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard. Paperback. 5/5
- Another Love by Amanda Prowse. ARC. E-book. 3/5
Surprisingly, I only had one DNF. I just wasn’t feeling it after a few pages so will eventually go back to it. It probably doesn’t help that I don’t know a lot about the book, or the story in general. I also managed to get 2 ARC’s in, even if one of them was released in E-book format whilst i was reading it. What I found strange was that it isn’t released in Paperback format for another few months yet.
I made a great start to my 26 Themes challenge, reading A book I meant to read in 2015 but didn’t (Outlander), a Goodreads Choice Awards Winner (Red Queen), and a murder mystery (Pop Goes The Weasel).
My plans for my February reading is pretty much the same as January’s. To read what I fancy, not pushing myself to read too much so i suffer from a major book hangover!! I’m currently reading my first ARC of the month, There Will Be Stars by Billy Coffey. I’m only 7% into it but it’s got a lot of promise so far. I’ve got 3 mote ARCs to read this month as well, but I’ll list them as I read them.
For my 26 theme challenge, I’m planning on reading A book set on mainland Europe (The Italian Wife by Kate Furnivall), Seen the movie but not read the book (Percy Jackson and The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan), and lastly A Banned Book (American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis).
Have a good month people!!